Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tri Mind Fuel - Mental Toughness

Triathlon is about mental toughness. 
I have found 4 steps that apply to training, and especially to race day.


Here are the "Big Four" mental skills taught to Navy SEALs, that make my Tri experience so much better:
1) Goal-setting. 
I don't mean "crossing the finish line, or losing weight". I mean, "How are you going to get through the next half hour, How are you going to climb that hill, how are you going to handle T2, "? Turns out that this close-focused goal-setting is a key to peak performance anywhere. One major way to combat stress is to NARROW YOUR FOCUS to the immediate future.

2) Mental rehearsal, or Visualization. 
Imagine over and over doing something you may be anxious about? I get anxious about T1 transition, a mass swim start, climbing hills on my bike, etc. Take a moment now, and give this a try. So, I imagine over and over getting out of the water, and getting out of my wetsuit. I see what it will be like when I do that thing successfully and easily. I notice how my body feels and what I hear and smell. I do this over and over again. 
3) Take Charge of Your Self Talk. 
We are constantly talking to ourselves, at a rate that is many times the speed of normal speech. So when you notice something negative say "Stop!" or "Cancel!" and then create your own "cheering section" to be your encouraging chorus. "You can do it" – "This is easy!" "Forget that hill – focus on the next one!"

4) Arousal Control. 
This skill is used to calm the physical symptoms of panic. You know, the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, sudden cold sweats or hot spells.
You control this response with deliberate breathing. I need this before the start.
So, INHALE DEEPLY (for a count of six), hold it for a count of two, then exhale for a count of six, emptying your lungs. Do this three times.
It will become your instant stress control and will lower your blood pressure and flood your brain with oxygen, increasing your ability to be cool before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment